Software Support Engineer
Do you like working with very smart technical and business people who are at the forefront of defining and inventing digital media delivery and presentation? Do you like working on multiple product lines and at the same time analyzing and identifying the common threads and issues that can be leveraged to solve multiple problems? If so, this could be a job for you The Digital Media Technology group builds unique and exciting digital products and responsible for Amazon Kindle, Digital Video, Audio, Music, Audible and Digital Text products. We build an eclectic set of rich media ingestion technologies, platforms and processes and taking what’s possible with digital media to the next level.
· AE is a shared services organization responsible for providing multi-faceted application engineering services to multiple Digital product development teams.
· Developing Tools, applications, code improvements and scripts to resolve operational burden of support engineers and Operations
· Support engineering and troubleshooting on issues related to the digital platform services and content for various products
· Interface with content acquisition, content providers, operations and technical teams to ensure content publishing and delivery as per service level agreements
· Production Builds, Tools, and Configuration Management for software product releases and successful deployments.
This job requires you to constantly hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. Some of the key job functions of the support engineer are:
· Provide first level of support for tickets filed
· Provide engineering support of our incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting and debugging, with responsibilities covering multiple product lines.
· Work on maintenance of coding projects, primarily in Perl or shell scripts, web technologies, and Java based projects.
· Read and understand complex application code and make code fixes to resolve support issues
· Software deployment support in staging and production environments.
· Develop tools to aid operations and maintenance.
· System and Support status reporting.
· Ownership of one or more Digital products or components.
· Customer notification and workflow co-ordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements.
· Work with engineering team for handing-off or taking over active support issues and to create a team specific knowledge base and skill set.
· 2+ years of development or technical support experience
· Experience troubleshooting and debugging technical systems
· Experience in Unix
· Experience scripting in modern program languages
Required Technical Skills
· B.E. in Computer Science or a related field.
· 2+ years overall development/technical support experience.
· Proven track record in working on enterprise level large scale n-tier applications
· Development Experience in C/Java or open source based technologies. Understanding of XML/SOAP, web services, web application development, and industry-standard commerce systems.
· Demonstrated experience in Perl or shell scripts, a sound understanding of web technologies.
· Detailed knowledge of the UNIX/Linux operating system and tools
· Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues in complex Enterprise Level applications.
· Demonstrated skill and passion for problem solving and operational excellence.
Required Soft Skills
· BIG PICTURE: solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
· PROACTIVE: You display energy and initiative in solving problems. You follow all possible avenues to get the job done.
· ADAPTABLE: You undertake a variety of tasks willingly. You switch from complex to routine tasks when required. You adapt quickly to new technologies and products. You work effectively with a variety of personalities and work styles.
· HANDLING STRESS: Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, communicates effectively with a wide array of individuals at Amazon, and gets the right things done.
· QUALITY: You demonstrate appropriate quality and thoroughness.
· INTEGRITY: You act with personal integrity at all times.
· PROFESSIONAL: You work within your team’s process. You confront problems (even when outside your own domain), propose solutions, take ownership through to resolution or ensure a clear hand-off. You have a positive, can-do approach to work.
Apply for the Job